BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
COUNTY OF LOS ANGELES
Supervisor, Second District
Know your Rights when You Are Approached for House Number Curb Painting
There have been repeated problems being reported to County officials regarding house number curb painting solicitors. Before you say “yes” to any solicitor who wants to paint your house number and a logo on the curb in front of your house, be aware of the facts:
THE COUNTY DOES NOT EMPLOY ANYONE TO PAINT
HOUSE NUMBERS ON CURBS!
- The solicitor cannot charge you for any curb painting service. However, you can volunteer to give a monetary donation.
- Legally, you are not obligated to have your house number on the curb. However, the Fire Department recommends that your address is clearly marked on the front of your house. If your house is not visible from the street, you may post a sign next to your driveway.
- The person requesting to paint your curb must obtain and carry an Encroachment Permit from Public Works.
- The property owner’s permission must be obtained before painting the house number.
- Logos painted on the curb are not permitted in the unincorporated area.
- The solicitor must provide you with a copy of the curb painting guidelines and obtain your signature indicating you understand and have given permission to paint your curb.
If you would like to inquire if a company has a permit, please contact the Department of Public Works Permit Office at (626) 458-3129.
If you feel threatened by any representative of a curb painting service, please notify your local Sheriff’s Station or current Law Enforcement Agency.